Ending the month of Gratitude with an exercise designed to help us appreciate somebody very important whom we have a tendency to neglect…Ourselves!
Gratitude Challenge- Self Recognition
The Challenge- Do this self recognition exercise everyday for one week.
Time: 5-10 minutes
Requirements: Pen, there paper, seek and a quiet place to reflect. It is recommended that you do this exercise at the end of the day.
- In a quiet location, decease sit in a comfortable position, and take three deep breaths. Each time you exhale, imagine all the tension leaving your body.
- For the first day doing the exercise only, think about at least three things that you like about yourself , whether they be physical traits, personality traits, or values/beliefs. For each trait, belief or value you thought of, write the following: “I appreciate that I am/believe in/ value ______________________, because by having this trait/value/ belief, today I : “ Be sure to leave 7 spaces between each statement.
- For the remainder of the week, after taking three deep breaths, examine each statement. Think about how having that trait/value/belief helped you that day, and in a space below the statement, write that down, and date it.
Example: I appreciate that I value my family, because by having this value, today I:
- Took the time to work through an issue I had with my husband, instead of ignoring it which would have been bad for our relationship-October 30 2014.
- Called my father to check in and see how he was doing, which resulted in a very nice conversation – October 31 2014.
Outcome: By the end of the self recognition exercise, you may notice that you feel more relaxed, and your mood is improved. Over time, you may begin to recognize your own positive traits/values/beliefs more readily, which will improve the way you see yourself, and ultimately your self esteem.
Theory behind this exercise: The purpose of this self recognition exercise is to help you recognize and appreciate your own attributes and the positive impact they have on your day to day life. By taking three deep breaths, you enter into a more relaxed state. Once in a relaxed state, it is easier to think about your attributes, and how they affected you that day. By reading and reflecting upon these statements daily, you subconsciously reinforce these beliefs about yourself. By linking them to positive events, you further validate and begin to accept them more readily. This leads to an improved perception of yourself and greater self esteem.
So keep appreciating all the wonderful things about yourself!
We would love to know about your experience with this self recognition challenge in the comments below!by